Saturday, November 17, 2007

Might as well Dance!

Too many people put off things that bring them joy because they don’t have time, don't have it on their schedule, forgot it was coming, are too busy working or are just plain too rigid to depart from their routine.

My lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years. I love ice cream. The other day,
I stopped the car and bought a triple-Decker. If my car had hit an iceberg
on the way home, at least I would have
died happy.

How often have your kids dropped in to talk and sat in silence
while you watched 'Jeopardy' on television?
When they ask to play
Do you say, “not now, tomorrow”?
What if tomorrow never comes?

I cannot count the times
I called my brother and said, "How about lunch?"
He would usually respond with, "I can't" or "maybe next week" or "it’s Monday.” Usually, though, it was “I don’t have the time."
We never did get together for that lunch.
He died a few years ago.

I was thinking the other day
about all those people on the Titanic who passed up dessert at dinner
that fateful night
in an effort to cut back. From then on, I've tried to be a little more
flexible.

Americans cram so much into their lives. Americans have to fill every minute of the day with "something” to do. Everyday is planned out. Because of that, we live on promises
to make the time, when the conditions are “perfect”, when
the time is right!

Sure, we'll go and visit our parents when we get the kid a new shirt. We'll entertain when we replace the old TV. We'll go on a second honeymoon when the kids move out. We’ll move to a better place when we have more money.
Do it…NOW! There is no perfect time like
today.

Ever told your child, "We'll do it tomorrow when
I have more time." And in your haste, not
see his sorrow?

Ever lost touch? Let a good friendship die?
Ever call to just say
“Hi”?

If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make,
who would you call and what would you say?
And what are you waiting for,
the right time?

Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get shorter, and the list of promises to ourselves gets longer. One morning, we awaken, and all we have to show for our lives is a litany of "I'm going to do," "I plan on doing," and "Someday, when things are settled down a bit..."

When anyone calls my 'seize the moment' friend,
she is open to adventure and available for trips. She keeps an open mind and
an open schedule. Her enthusiasm for life is contagious. You talk with her for five minutes, and you're ready to trade your bad feet for a pair of Roller blades or to
live in the woods!

Have you ever played with your friends kids' playing on a merry go round or
stood in the rain during a summers downpour?
Ever follow a butterfly's erratic flight or gazed at the sun fading into the night?
Or do you run through each day
on the fly?

When the day is done, do you lie in bed with the next day's chores running through your head...worried about
how to do it all?

When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an unopened gift... thrown away....
life is not a race. Soooooo…

Take the time to Make the time to..
Watch that sunset… Smell the flowers…Do nothing…
See the sunrise... Follow that butterfly…Soar with the Eagles…Make that call...
Turn off the phone…Drive around aimlessly…Throw out the planner…
Play!...

Life is today, for tomorrow may not come.
Enjoy it. Be the DJ
This is your life…your life song

"Life may not be the party you want it to be,
but as long as it’s your song……you

might as well dance! "

:)

2 Comments:

Jim said...

Jon, my friend, this is a terrific post, some of these points, like the 'watching jeopardy' one, and the playing with the kids one, all of them really, are so absolutely pleasures missed by so many in their rush to be adult and habit-ruled, and in their deafness and dumbness to REAL life. This post stings and smarts in me, not just for some of my own failings, but for those I feel for my friends and acquaintances around me, I would we could all have what you propose here.

Very good to hear it said so well Jon.

jon be me said...

I am also learning from this post! We try, right?

J

© blogger beta templates | Make Money Online